Every October, the world turns a shade of pink to honor Breast Cancer Awareness Month. This annual campaign serves as a powerful reminder of the importance of early detection, support, and research in the fight against breast cancer.
Breast cancer is the most common cancer among women worldwide. The CDC reports that over 255,000 women a year get diagnosed with breast cancer in the United Sates and tragically, around 42,000 women a year die from the disease. The goal of Breast Cancer Awareness Month is to increase awareness about the disease, its risk factors, and the importance of early detection. By promoting knowledge, we empower individuals to take charge of their health through regular breast self-exams and screenings. Early detection can significantly improve the chances of successful treatment and survival.
Education is a cornerstone of breast cancer awareness. Knowing the risk factors, such as family history, age, and lifestyle choices, allows individuals to make informed decisions about their health. Understanding the signs and symptoms, like lumps, changes in breast shape or size, or nipple discharge, helps women recognize when it’s time to seek medical attention.
One way to show support during Breast Cancer Awareness Month is by sharing information. Use your social media platforms to spread awareness, share stories of survival, and provide resources for self-exams and mammograms. The more we talk about breast cancer, the less the disease becomes stigmatized. Education and information only comes from communication and sharing the signs, symptoms and stories from one another.
Strength and Resilience:
Breast Cancer Awareness Month is also an opportunity to celebrate the strength and resilience of survivors. Their stories of courage inspire others and serve as a reminder that breast cancer is not a death sentence. With advances in medical treatments and early detection methods, more and more women are surviving and thriving after a breast cancer diagnosis.
How to Help:
The month of October can be more than just about awareness — it can include action. Below you can find a few resources for individuals to make contributions this month:
- Make a donation: A donation to the National Breast Cancer Foundation, Inc helps provide women gain access to the education and support need, along with help fund screenings to make life saving mammograms more affordable.
- Volunteer: It doesn’t matter your location because in many places you can volunteer in-person and virtually! Join thousands of volunteers in helping pack HOPE kits that go directly to women currently in treatment for breast cancer, write encouraging cards, pack Breast Health Kits, and much more.
- Shop at Small Businesses Run by Survivors: In the United States there are over 3.8 million breast cancer survivors that continue to battle the financial hardship that their diagnoses brought on. Supporting local, small businesses run by breast cancer survivors helps support the survivors and help alleviate financial burden.
Team Forrest Solutions:
Last year, members of Forrest Solutions and their families and friends joined together to participate in the American Cancer Society’s Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk in cities across the country. We had over 130 Forrest Solutions professionals participate and raised over $7,000 for the American Cancer Society.
This year, we are looking to contribute even more. Team Forrest Solutions will be walking in 13 cities across the country from October 1st to October 29th to raise money to help fund the fight against breast cancer. Below is a list of all the cities we will be participating in. We invite you to join us!
- Boston, MA: October 1st, 2023
- Detroit, MI: October 7th, 2023
- Washington D.C.: October 14th, 2023
- Chicago, IL: October 14th, 2023
- New York City: October 15th, 2023
- Philadelphia, PA: October 15th, 2023
- Los Angeles, CA: October 21st, 2023
- San Francisco, CA: October 22nd, 2023
- North Texas: October 28th, 2023
- Silicon Valley, CA: October 28th, 2023
- Miami, FL: October 28th, 2023
- Kansas City, MO: October 28th, 2023
- Columbus, OH: October 29th, 2023
If you would like to make a donation to Team Forrest Solutions, you can do so here.
If you are interested in joining Forrest Solutions in a walk in one of these thirteen cities, please reach out to Oni Akil: firstname.lastname@example.org